In order to learn more about the ivory trade and the elephants I was searching on different animal welfare organizations and conservation organizations such as WWF, IFAW, WildAid and Greenpeace. To my surprise I found out some very disturbing facts and numbers:
- African elephants once roamed across most of the continent in the millions.
- Back in the early part of the 20th century, there may have been as many as 3-5 million African elephants.
- Their population now dropped only to 415ooo.
- Up to 33000 elephants are killed every year for trinkets and carvings.
- Almost 104 elephants die a day for their precious tusks.
- At least 1/3 of tree species in African forests rely on elephants.
- Less than 20% of African elephant habitat is under formal protection.
- African elephants face extinction by 2020.
We were asked to create an A2 typographic poster for our manifesto. So using the newly acquired information I’ve tried for the first time to create such a poster. To be honest it was a quite difficult process for me as I am not very familiar with the PC – oriented stuff, so I had to search a lot online on how to do it using appropriate software.
First, I drew the shape of an elephant and then I scanned it and used Photoshop in order to process it.
So here is my result.